Questions to Guide the Conceptualization and Development of Case Studies
The questions presented below are intended to serve as a guide and help with ideas in preparing your discussion of the case. The case study is to be presented in paragraph form; the questions are not to be answered individually in your presentation.
- What does the information given tell you about the issues for the student and the type of help he or she might need?
- What are possible issues that need to be addressed by the student?
- What are goals that might apply to the student?
- What decisions might need to be made (either by the advisor or the student)?
- What theory or theories could be used to help understand the student’s situation and how do these help in developing advising interventions or strategies with the student?
- What research could be used to inform your advising with the student? How does this apply to working with the student?
- How would you go about helping or advising the student? What type of advising approach would you take with the student and why?
- What resources would you recommend for the student?
- What additional information would be helpful to know?
- To what extent do diversity or multicultural issues need to be considered with the student? What are considerations related to this?
- What are key considerations that would guide your advising with the student?
- Should a referral be considered? If so, provide a recommendation and a rationale for the recommendation?
- What institutional policies might need to be explained to the student?
Return to Final Project page