Academic Advisor/Student Services Coordinator
This position provides academic advising to students in the College of Business Administration General Business distance program and provides support for the provision of advising and student services for military-associated students. This position will have shared responsibility in Kansas State University’s efforts to retain and advance the Bachelor’s Degree Completion Program (BDCP) students.
This position provides assistance and back-up support to the coordinator for the K-State Office at Fort Riley affording K-State Global Campus the ability to cover time-sensitive tasks and issues in times of high volume work and in the absence of the Fort Riley Coordinator. A thorough knowledge of specialized systems related to the military student is required.
This position provides support to current students through improved services and administration of the distance student scholarship process.
This position reports to the Director of Student and Faculty Services at K-State Global Campus.
Academic Advising – 45%
- Advise current students in the BDC programs outlined above within the K-State Global Campus of Kansas State University and guide them in their academic journey once admitted to their degree plan.
- Answer potential student questions beyond the typical inquiry stage and assist them in making academic decisions.
- Work closely with the Office of Admissions to assist those students that have been denied entry into their desired degree plan.
- Participate in retention efforts of K-State Global Campus and the various K-State colleges represented by BDCP and carry out strategies in retaining students.
- Assist the College of Business Administration with transcript analysis work, create curriculum guides for General Business students, and transmit the completed curriculum guides to students.
- Collaborate with K-State Athletics in conjunction with the Second Wind program to assist former student athletes in completing their degrees.
- Participate in and contribute to campus advising initiatives and committees.
Current Student Services – 15%
- Coordinate the administration and promotion of all K-State Global Campus scholarships.
- Serve as the student accounts/financial services contact for the K-State EdAssist partnership.
- Collaborate with student services and academic program coordinators to deliver services to students at a distance.
Military Student Services – 15%
- Train and provide auxiliary support to the K-State office at Fort Riley in the following tasks:
- Providing initial academic advising to military students in all branches of the military, assisting them with their educational goals and options
- Providing information about admissions requirements, financial aid programs, and Army voluntary education programs to prospective students
- Entering student data into both university and military systems for each student
- Maintaining knowledge of university and military policies and procedures for all students concerning residency, tuition and fees, transfer of credits, transcripts, and evaluation programs for academic and professional training
- Provide back-up assistance to the K-State office at Fort Riley as needed.
Administrative Responsibility – 15%
- Work with college program coordinators and K-State colleges in preparing 2+2 agreements to facilitate student degree completion.
- Maintain, update and enhance the BDCP advising database to aid in advising and tracking.
- Assist the BDCP Coordinator with providing reports on BDCP student enrollments, potential students, applications, graduation information, trends and retention efforts.
- Assist with the BDCP Advisory Committee meetings held each fall and spring semester.
- Assist with marketing plans and strategies in increasing BDCP enrollments.
SFS/K-State Global Campus/University Responsibility – 10%
- Represent K-State Global Campus and K-State at recruiting events.
- Participate on K-State Global Campus goal teams, committees and other K-State initiatives.
- Attend and present at professional development conferences and workshops.
- Be familiar with the K-State Global Campus Disaster Recovery Plan and be prepared to follow the plan.
- Plan and make arrangements to ensure there is no disruption to programs in the event of inclement weather.
- Complete other assignments as designated.
- Bachelor’s degree
- One (1) to two (2) years’ experience advising students in a higher education environment
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven record of organizational skills
- Familiarity with educational technologies
- Ability to effectively communicate with diverse groups of people
- Ability to work in diverse and changing environments
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to meet deadlines, be detail oriented and prioritize tasks
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong personal computer skills
- Master’s degree in either Academic Advising, Adult and Continuing Education, College Student Development or Counseling and Student Development (experience may be substituted for discipline specific requirements)
- Three (3) or more years’ experience advising students in a higher education environment
- Familiarity with military culture and practices, including military rank, GoArmyEd, Centralized Tuition Assistance Management (CTAM), and Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) and Army Degrees (SOCAD)
- Familiarity with KSIS and K-State Online
- Knowledge and understanding of distance education
- Recent military experience
Appointment conditions: Regular 12-month appointment
To apply, send:
– Cover letter addressing your qualifications and skills related to the position
– Resume or curriculum vita listing education and employment history
– Four professional references including name, address, phone number (cell number if appropriate) and email address
Send via email to: Ashley Noll, firstname.lastname@example.org
Send via postal mail:
Advisor and Student Services Coordinator
Kansas State University
1615 Anderson Avenue, Ste. 101
Manhattan, KS 66502-4098
Screening of applicants begins August 3, 2015 and will continue until the position is filled.
Kansas State University is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Background check required. Kansas State University actively seeks diversity among its employees.